Data Visualisation Workshop
DDSA, DDEA and DCA course
Data Visualisation Workshop
Are you working with a lot of data and want to make data-driven decisions? Would you like to help people see and interact with your research data more easily? Would you like to more clearly visualise patterns and relationships? Then join us for a two-day course in data visualisation from theoretical concepts to implementation!
This course is offered jointly by the Danish Data Science Academy, the Danish Cardiovascular Academy and the Danish Diabetes and Endocrine Academy.
Learn how to translate research data into visual representations making it easier for you and other scientists to understand and learn from the data. Learn how to generate visualisations to help you find patterns, trends and outliers in your data sets.
The Data Visualisation workshop is designed for early career researchers who wish to enhance their ability to communicate research findings effectively through visualisations. This two-day intensive course will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of theoretical concepts and practical techniques to transform complex data into insightful visual representations.
In this two-day course you will:
- Learn visualisation principles and foundations
- Discuss and analise your own visualisations
- Work on a domain-specific task using a data set provided
- Engage in guided group work on a visualisation design using the Five Design-Sheets Methodology
- Implement and present your work
During the two days, you’ll also have the opportunity to engage in hands-on exercises, group discussions and peer feedback, get to know the other course participants and network with them and the speakers through dinner and social activities.
Dates: 15 – 16 November, 2023
Venue: Milling Hotel Park, Viaduktvej 28, 5500 Middelfart, Denmark
Costs: Participation is free. Transport to/from the venue is at your own cost
Who can attend?
The workshop is intended for early career researchers, including data scientists, basic and translational research scientists, clinical researchers and clinicians, working within the scope of the Danish Data Science Academy, Danish Cardiovascular Academy, or Danish Diabetes and Endocrine Academy.
Participants will be selected on based on motivation. During registration, you will be asked to provide a short statement of your motivation for attending this course.
Please note that you are not guaranteed a seat at the course if you do not meet the target group requirements. Priority is given to participants employed at Danish research and health institutions or in the life science industry. If the event is overbooked, the Academies reserve the right to select participants based on the defined requirements.
Programme, instructors and organisers
The preliminary programme is available here.
Hans-Jörg Schulz, Associate Professor, Aarhus University (DK)
- Adam Hulman, Associate Professor, Steno Diabetes Center Aarhus (DK)
- Jesper Kjær, Director, Data Analytics Centre Danish Medicines Agency (DK)
- Josefine Vilsbøll Sundgaard, Senior Postdoctoral Researcher, Novo Nordisk A/S and the Danish Technical University (DK)
- Katharina Herzog, Precision Medicine Specialist, Novo Nordisk A/S (DK)
- Melanie Ganz-Benjaminsen, Associate Professor, University of Copenhagen and Rigshospitalet (DK)
Registration deadline: 17 September 2023
Statement of motivation: briefly describe your motivation to attend the course.
- Dinner registration: The Academies will organize a networking dinner on 15 November. Participation in the dinner is free of charge. Upon registration, please indicate whether you have any dietary requirements.
- Accommodation: The Academies offer 1-night accommodation for all participants, check-in on 15 November and check-out on 16 November. Participants who are coming from Copenhagen, Roskilde, Aalborg or surrounding areas are welcome to request accommodation beginning 14 November. Please sign up for accommodation when you register for the event. You will be informed about your overnight accommodation after the registration deadline.
- Certification: A course certificate will be sent to all participants upon request at the end of the course. Full participation is required to attain 1.4 ECTS points.
- No-show fee: Please note that it is free of charge to participate in the course however the Academies will charge a no-show fee of 1000 DKK if you do not show up and have not unregistered from the course prior to its start.